Thursday 14 January 2010

3 Slags on a Corner : Chapter Two

Two - Evie

I could hear his footsteps following behind me, I hurried towards the window and pushed it open. The rope of tied sheets were to the left, I bent down and threw it out the window. I turned to see Dougie standing just behind me smiling. He drew me in and kissed me, I returned it and laughed.
“You have to go now, mum’s up!” I pulled away and he cautiously climbed down the rope. He dropped to the ground and looked up and smiled.
“I’ll meet you at our spot. Four o’clock?” I nodded and blew him a kiss. He ran to the end of the garden and jumped over the back wall. I was waiting by the window, when my mother walked in.
“Hello darling! Quick, quick come downstairs!” I looked at her puzzled. She waved me forward with her arm and I walked towards her.
“Why, what’s going on downstairs?” She mock zipped her mouth up and waved me along still. I rolled my eyes and followed her down the stairs. I saw my brother coming out of his room with my dad, he was doing the same thing my mum had done to me; he wasn’t saying anything either. Owen looked peeved, he didn’t normally wake up before twelve and it’s eight now. He pulled a grey hoodie over his head, and him and my dad followed behind my mum and I down the stairs.
When I reached the bottom my mum ushered me towards the dining table. I sat down and Pierre, our butler, came over with my favourite breakfast, pancakes. When Owen sat down he got his favourite breakfast too, a bowl of cheerios. He tucked in straight away, but I waited for more bribery.
“O.K mum, dad. Why are you buttering us up?” They both sat down at either ends of the table and were given a bowl of fresh fruit each, they’re on a diet. My dad put his spoon down and glanced between me and Owen. Owen had stopped eating and was now staring at dad suspiciously.
“O.K kids, we have some pretty big news for you both.” I glanced at Owen and frowned, he looked back at dad. Dad continued. “We are moving.” Owen looked like he’d been slapped right across the cheek. I drew in breath and put my fork down. Owen spoke next.
“What?” He looked at dad like death. “We’re moving? Where Cork, Dublin?” My dad shook his head and looked down. My mum chose this time to speak, we both looked at her.
“Owen love. We’re not moving to another part of Ireland. We’re moving to another country altogether.” Owens face looked confused.
“What country?” He leant back in his chair and frowned.
“Owen, Eve. We’re moving to London, England.” I gasped and pushed my chair back. I raced up the stairs and flew into my bedroom. I burst into tears and grabbed my pillow to cover my head. Moving to England would mean I’d never see any of my friends again. I’d never see Dougie. The one guy I’d actually liked and didn’t just like me because I was easy. I heard a light tap on the door.
“Go away!” I yelled, they didn’t listen. I felt the bottom of my mattress lower, I took the pillow off my head and saw Owen staring straight ahead. “I said go away.” He looked down at me and smiled.
“Oh come on sis. You didn’t know it was me then.” I tried not to smile and put the pillow back over my head.
“I know you have loads of friends here. But you’ll make new ones in London.”
“I know I will but, its just a shock you know?” He nodded.
“I don’t want to go, basically because I’ve just got a place in my dream uni, plus I don’t want to leave Siân. I’ve been with her for ages, and I think I love her. But I don’t know. Maybe fate is saying there’s someone in London who I’ll love more.” I sat up and gave him a huge hug.

*

So it was sorted, we were moving to England and my parents were strangely happy. My dad wouldn’t stop smiling and my mum kept squeezing my cheek; by the way, this was annoying. Owen had a huge farewell with Siân, there were lots of tears. Not from Owen, he’d seemed to have got over it. I hadn’t realised that I hadn’t said goodbye to Dougie, until I was on the plane. I was crushed, he would be so angry with me; he’d think I’d stood him up. I would never do that to him, ever.
The plane trip was only an hour long, so we got to England in no time. As soon as we were off the plane it was a big rush to get our bags; well I say we but I mean mum, dad and Owen. I got chatting to a fit French guy. He’d complemented me on my outfit, but there wasn’t much of it. It was only a skirt and bandeau top. I was freezing, but looked amazing. I had my bleach blond hair in curls and lashings of mascara around my deep, blue eyes. My false nails kept getting caught on the handle of my suitcase, so Owen offered to pull it for me. We were standing outside the bathroom waiting for dad. I glanced around to see a girl who looked about the same age as me, but looked like a complete book worm. I noticed that her gaze was turned directly to Owen, I didn’t understand why.
When we got outside, there was a huge stretch limo waiting for us, Owen sighed.
“Dad, do we always have to make a scene. You could have just got a small car, we’d have fit.”
“No Owen. Where would we have put all of Evie’s baggage? It would never have fit into a seven seated car, let alone a five!” I smiled and leaned over to kiss my dad on the cheek.
“You know me too well dad.” I heard Owen mumble something like, he doesn’t know me, but he wouldn’t say that; he loves dad!